- Check road conditions in advance since many high-elevation roads are only open a few weeks a year.
- ATV rentals start at $159 for half-day and $199 for full-day.
- Charge up (and then down) high-mountain passes around Crested Butte, including Pearl, Schofield and Kebler.
- Guided jeep and ATV tours leaving daily start at $50 for adults and $33 for kids.
If there’s one positive legacy left behind by the mining era in Crested Butte, then surely it’s the extensive 4-wheel drive road network.
Where to go ATV & Off Roading
With all the great off roading, it can be hard to narrow the choices.
- Italian Creek is a 17-mile beginner road located off County Road 759.
- Pearl Pass Trail offers incomparable alpine views along this 16-mile intermediate route.
- Schofield Pass is a demanding 5-mile ride through advanced terrain.
- The Taylor Park area has a lot of trails and spurs open to riders of all abilities. Use the area’s guidebook for reference.
Guided Tours & Rentals
Several companies rent ATVs in the Crested Butte-Gunnison area. Prices start at about $100 per machine per day. Outfitters will include a trailer or meet you at the trailhead. Drivers must be at least 16 years old.
Guided ATV and jeep tours leave daily in the summer and prices start at $50 for adults and $33 for children.