- The Black Canyon's extreme rapids lure hardcore whitewater paddlers from all over the world.
- The Gunnison River, around the North Bridge put-in, offers a leisurely class II canoe and kayak.
- All variety of canoes and kayaks can be rented from several different outfitters.
- Contact a Crested Butte kayak outfitter about a guided tour or lesson.
From mild to wild, Crested Butte is known for great whitewater canoeing and kayaking.
Where to go canoeing and kayaking
- The Taylor River is really two different streams: the challenging class III upper section and the mellow class II bottom section. Combine them for a thrilling top-to-bottom day on the river.
- The Gunnison River is a lovely, class II canoe and kayak. Put-in at Almont or North Bridge and float to the whitewater park takeout.
- Kayaking Black Canyon of the Gunnison is an unforgettable experience. Steep, narrow class V rapids await intrepid paddlers launching a Black Canyon kayak trip.
- For advanced whitewater paddlers, Crested Butte is home to intense (read: dangerous), class V spring creek boating on Upper East, Oh-Be-Joyful, Slate and Crystal creeks.
Guided Tours & Rentals
Several river outfitters offer guided tours and expert whitewater kayak instuction.
Crested Butte outfitters rent inflatable and hard-shell kayaks as well as shuttle services. Inquire about rates, destinations and availability.