- Crested Butte raft outfitters offer several different guided tours varying in length and excitement starting at $35.
- The Gunnison River is a great float trip for families and fishermen, while the Taylor River has more exciting rapids.
- Crested Butte's runoff-fed rivers offer best conditions from May through July.
Spend a day running one of Crested Butte's whitewater rivers. Several trips of varying length and excitement are offered by Crested Butte raft companies.
Where to go whitewater rafting
- The Taylor River is a steep, narrow alpine stream with long, sustained rapids that will challenge to the most proficient rafters. It's highly advised to hire a guide for the Taylor.
- The Gunnison River is very popular for families and rafting newbies. This float trip accesses great fishing, some fun whitewater park rapids most frequently run North Bridge to McCabe's Lane. Put in at Almont for a longer float.
- The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a stretch of other-worldy class V (second most dangerous) rapids located in a high-walled, federally protected canyon east of Gunnison. This ain't your Sunday afternoon float trip.
Guided Tours & Rentals
Several professionally accredited and licensed outfitters offer guided Crested Butte raft trips. Pick a river, length and ability level for trips starting at $35.