- All routes are snow-dependent, so check conditions and availability with a local ranch.
- Trail rides into Crested Butte's numerous wilderness areas are a great way to enjoy the natural alpine beauty.
- Horseback rides start at about $55 per person for a two-hour ride and up to $250 a person for overnight pack rides.
Crested Butte's extensive trail system and many wilderness areas, where only foot and horse traffic is permitted, combine to make it one of the finest horseback riding areas in the Rocky Mountains.
Where to go horseback riding
Trail options are numerous, so ask outfitters for recommendations and be sure to check out these favorites:
- Go to Aspen the old-fashioned way! Horseback rides via East Maroon and Pearl Passes are a great way to explore the famous wilderness area between Aspen and the Butte.
- Trail rides are also offered in Crested Butte's West Elk, Oh-Be-Joyful, Raggeds and Rustler's Gulch Wilderness Areas, where quiet and solitude punctuate majestic mountain views.
- Popular day rides explore Copper Lake, Ferris Creek and Teocalli Ridge.
Guided Tours & Rentals
Several ranches in the Crested Butte-Gunnison area offer trail rides through spectacular terrain, including through unmotorized wilderness areas.
Half-day, full day, overnight and week-long guided rides are available starting at $55 per person.