- Most rock climbing is found around the nearby town of Gunnison, which has over a dozen developed areas, including Taylor and Black Canyons.
- Crested Butte's uncrowded bouldering area, Skyland Boulders, has epic routes on clean rock with great views.
- Crested Butte climbing guides offer mountaineering trips on local big peaks and instruction on technical rock walls.
Most of the developed rock climbing is closer to Gunnison, a short drive from Crested Butte. There's almost endless mountaineering in the Elk Mountains surrounding the Butte.
Where to go climbing & mountaineering
- Conundrum, Castle Peak and the Maroon Bells are popular 14,000-foot peaks near Crested Butte that offer many intermediate to extreme mountaineering routes.
- Skyland Boulders, east of downtown Crested Butte and accessed from Upper Loop Trail, is considered by many to have the finest bouldering in Colorado and unparalleled scenery.
- The steep walls of the Black Canyon are home to almost 100 trad routes. You should be able to climb at least 5.8 on a top rope and be comfortable placing protection to climb here.
Guided Tours & Rentals
Crested Butte climbing guides can take you to the clouds on top of a local 14er or show you around the best technical climbing routes in one of the most beautiful outdoor classrooms on Earth.